Wednesday, April 29, 2020

What they say and What it means?


Next time you are in a meeting, con-call or a webinar and you hear someone using these words, know what they really want to say. (Disclaimer - If you decide to confront the person and it gets ugly, I am NOT responsible. Kindly exercise discretion.) 

I agree with what you say - "I was lost in my own thoughts and did not hear what you said. If I disagree, you will ask for a reason. So, I agree."

You are the best person for the job - "I want to palm this work off to you."

I have complete confidence in your capabilities - Same as "You are the best person for this hob."

I would like to run it by John / The Board / The Group - "I think this is going to fail and I want to be able to blame John / The Board / The Group."

Let us get Gabbar into this - "While we are busy with this, Gabbar is enjoying a holiday / watching TV / sleeping. How dare he!! Let us spoil it for him." OR "None of us know what to do. Gabbar is the only one who can solve this. Get him to cover our back sides."

I agree with you in principle - "I don't agree with you but am not in a mood to argue now. I will oppose you at some other time."

Let us sleep over it - As it sounds,"I want to sleep / watch TV / drink / do anything else. Get lost."

We agree to disagree - "You are all jerks. I am right. But I do not want to get isolated."

This is a wonderful proposal - "I thought of it first but I have no way to prove it now." 

Knowing the unsaid is very important for success in life. Watch this space for more.

I will keep you posted. (This means that I have run out of ideas for now and need time to find more ideas or steal other people's ideas.) 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Days, Bad Days

"Can we have a world without any bad people? Can we have a world in which nothing bad happens? A world in which there is no sorrow?&quo...